It is just a matter of time that one’s milk-loving baby is ready to eat solids. The experience is different altogether and is a huge, exciting milestone. One might choose to feed one’s baby themselves initially by offering the infant purees, but as the baby gets older they need spoons to take up their feeding duty. With the various products in the market, it can often be overwhelming to pick the best spoon for your baby. This article has a lowdown of the best feeding spoons for babies for different purposes.
1. NumNum Pre-Spoon GOOtensil
- The feeding spoon is recommended for baby’s from the ages of 6 months to 18 months. The unique flat design is easy to use with no balancing, scooping or incorrect way to hold it. Contoured, thick handles of this spoon fit the baby’s hand securely and comfortably.
- It is designed to suit all kinds of food. The first stage spoon holds purees perfectly, and the second stage spoon is convenient for soft and solid food items. Not only can the spoon be used for traditional weaning infant foods but also baby-led weaning solid food and preloading.
- NumNum Gootensil manufactures feeding spoons that are 100 per cent PVC, BPA and Phthalates free. They are made from the highest quality of FDA-grade silicone. It is one of the most preferred baby spoons by pediatric feeding therapists, speech-language pathologists and occupational therapists.
- Easy to hold
- Perfect for all types of food.
- No harmful chemicals
- Dual-stage spoon for easy transition
- Food gets blocked in tiny holes.
2. LOLLYY Baby-Led Weaning Silicone Spoons
- The spoon suits best on infants between the age of 6 to 18 months. It is made of selected soft silicone soft on the baby’s gums and protects their teeth, face and mouth.
- The brand manufactures BPA and PVC free spoons, ensuring the safety of the baby’s health. In addition, they are 100 per cent food-grade silicone material and are microwave, dishwasher and boil safe.
- The design of the spoon is ergonomic and there are two styles, one on each side of the spoon. The flat side raised with bumps are styled to feed purees to the baby as early as six months of age. The cut-through end is best for thick or solid baby food items. The handle in the middle is easy to hold and soft.
- Gentle on baby’s gums
- Ergonomic design
- BPA and PVC free silicone material
- Dishwasher, Microwave and Boil safe
- No such con found
3. Munchkin White Hot Safety Spoons
- The spoon is designed with a white-hot system where the tip of the spoon turns white when the baby’s food is too hot for them to eat- approximately 110 degrees F or 43.3 degrees C and above.
- It is durable as the handle of the spoon is made of stainless steel that is durable. These spoons are top-rack dishwasher safe and suggested for infants who are 3 months or older.
- Tapered spoon bowl design is comfortable for tiny mouths, and the soft tips of the spoon are gentle on the baby’s gums.
- The product comes in bright colours like peach, purple, blue and pink to attract the baby to the spoon.
- Top-rack dishwasher safe
- Soft tips
- Hot heat sensor
- Bright colours to attract the baby
- Stains easily
- The shallow design does not hold much food
4. Chubby Zebra First Training Self Feed Baby Utensils
- The spoon comes with an ergonomically designed short handle to fit into the baby’s hand. It has a specially designed choking free barrier to prevent choking hazards.
- It is made from safe food grade PP material that is BPA, lead and phthalates free. The spoon is dishwasher and high temperature sterilization safe, which makes cleaning it easy.
- They are designed to support fine motor skills like proper grasp over pencils and hand-eye coordination development.
- BPA, Lead and Phthalates free
- Dishwasher and high temperature sterilization safe
- Support fine motor skill development
- Small handle to hold
5. Eztotz Little Dippers Baby Spoons First Stage
- Easy to grab the handle of the makes it convenient for the baby to begin self-feeding. The food channels are designed in a way that no matter how the spoon is dipped, the food is grabbed.
- The spoons come with an innovative and safe chokequard with a cute bear head to prevent accidental gagging and choking. It is extremely helpful in the initial stages when the movement of the infant is uncoordinated.
- These spoons are made of 100 per cent soft food-grade silicone, and no plastic is made use of while it is manufactured. These flexible spoons are BPA free and match the US safety standards.
- Safe choke guard
- Soft silicone
- Dishwasher safe
- Grabs food, however, dipper
- Great as teethers
- Maybe a bit pricey
6. Olababy Soft-Tip Training Spoon
- The spoon has a soft silicone tip that comes with added flexibility and helps the baby scoop food easily at any angle. It is ergonomically designed for the baby’s hand.
- It is made of 100 per cent food-grade silicone that is toxin-free as well as BPA, Latex and Phthalate free. The product is safer than hard spoons and prevents potential gum bruises. It also doubles as a teether.
- This spoon is dishwasher and freezer friendly and is easy to clean as it does not stain easily. The spoons base allows for hygienic, upright placement on any surface.
- It does not stain and easy to clean
- Silicone material
- Ergonomic design
- Scoop may be too large
- Slight chemical odour
7. BABY K Self Feeding Bamboo Baby Spoons
- It is the perfect spoon for feeding the baby and training them, as it has a base made of natural bamboo. The spoon is designed to fit tiny mouths that will help the baby develop the habit of self-feeding. The silicon tip is not detachable, removing choking risks.
- The baby spoon is durable to be chewed on and played with. It helps soothe the sore gums of the baby who is teething. Also, the product is BPA free, so the baby is chewing on food-grade materials safely.
- The ergonomic design eliminates the worry of metal or plastic scraping against the baby’s mouth and is easy to hold as it is very light in weight. It also comes with a 2-year warranty in case of any defects.
- Comfortable hold
- Silicone tip
- Gum-friendly teether
- Environment friendly
- Not dishwasher safe
- Wood may start chipping
8. Burabi Silicone Squeeze Feeding Spoon
- The baby spoon is BPA free and made of food-grade silicone. The material is safe for the baby. It is dishwasher safe and can be hand washed in warm water. Although, it is not microwaveable.
- It is very convenient to use as it dispenses food one bite each time, and the feeding is done one-handed with zero mess. It serves multiple functions and can be used to feed everything from soup, rice pasta to juice and more.
- This product comes with a free exchange in thirty days and a warranty guaranteed for thirteen months.
- Easy cleaning
- Safe material
- Convenient one-hand feeding
- Stains easily
9. Monee Baby Spoons with Teethers
- The spoon is made from high-quality platinum silicone and is 100 per cent BPA and phthalates free. It is also dishwasher and microwave safe.
- Each baby spoon is designed for dual purpose. It is designed to hold the correct amount of food when the baby is weaning. The handle can be controlled easily and gives the baby a tight grip on the spoon. The base of the spoon has a texture that acts as a teether for the baby.
- These baby feeding spoons are designed for the early stages from stage 1 and onwards. The soft round edges of the spoon protect the baby’s delicate gums and help the baby hold the food in place.
- All-silicone baby spoon
- 100 per cent BPA and phthalates free
- Works as a teether
- Trusted brand
- Dishwasher safe
- Very bendy and flyable
- Stains easily
10. Boon Squirt Silicone Baby Food Dispensing Spoon
- The spoon has a large, easy-to-clean bulb that holds up to three ounces of stage 1 or 2 baby food. This dishwasher-safe spoon is made of silicone without BPA, PVC, and Phthalate and can be hand washed.
- The spoon tip easily screws onto the bulb for no-fuss preparation and can be boiled or sterilised.
- Dispenses pureed baby food for convenient one-handed feeding and includes a cap that’s great for on-the-go use.
- Large and easy to clean bulb
- Made of soft silicone
- Convenient to hold
- Dishwasher safe
- Made without BPA, PVC and Phthalate
- It might leak if not tightened properly
- Flimsy cover may cause a choking hazard
There are several varieties of baby feeding spoons available in the market and online. Each product available is unique in some way, either by shapes, materials or purposes. Some of the basic ones available in the market include Long-handled, Short-handled, travel spoons, Baby-led weaning spoons, Bendable or loadable ones, Organic or eco-friendly and Temperature-sensitive spoons. One should be aware of the kind of spoon they are looking for their baby depending on the use of each spoon. When looking for a baby spoon, one should consider certain crucial things, like material, construction and added features alongside the cost of the product. The spoons come in different materials ranging from silicone, plastic to plastic and more. If the baby tends to bite stuff, one might want to go for softer materials. Often spoons are made by combining include two or more materials, for example, plastic and metal. Feeding spoons that are one-piece do not break easily and can be cleaned easily. While looking for a spoon for one’s infant, one might look for additional features like a double duty. One can find spoons that can be used as teethers too! Other features, for example, folding spoons are convenient for travel purposes, can also be looked for while searching for the best spoon for infants.
When can one start using baby spoons?
Ans. As per the guidelines of CDC (Centers of Disease Control and Prevention), infants who are ready to start eating solid foods are capable of using spoons. As of now, six months old is the suggested age for feeding solid food.
When can infants start feeding themselves?
Ans. According to the CDC, older infants can start using spoons independently when 10 to 12 months old. However, one needs to keep in mind that every baby is different. Hence, consulting with their paediatrician to understand what suits their baby the best is crucial.
How can one get their baby to eat from a spoon?
Ans. One can start with a bottle feeder alongside a spoon. Having used it for some time, the baby soon gets habituated and gets comfortable introducing a spoon. It can also be initiated by handing a feeding spoon to the baby while feeding to imitate and learn. Making sure it is bright in colour might help, as it attracts the baby.
Can one leave the baby self-feeding with a spoon?
Ans. One needs to be extremely careful when the infant is self-feeding since babies often tend to be clumsy. Also, the baby should never be left alone when they are self-feeding. They might bite the spoon or even choke themself accidentally while eating.
What number of feeding spoons should one get for the baby?
Ans. There is no definite number of spoons that one should keep, but ensuring that one has at least four to five feeding spoons for the baby can be helpful. One might require several types of spoons for various food items. Also, there should always be extra spoons in case one is misplaced.