Best Pacifiers for Babies – Product Reviews
1. Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Bar Baby Soap
- This is the best pacifier for newborn babies. Its smaller bulb makes it suitable for babies aged 0 to 6 months.
- It is orthodontic and it encourages the correct form of oral development in babies, which is crucial at that age.
- The nub is made of silicone which is 100% safe. Safety is a paramount feature for any top rated pacifier for newborn babies.
- The seller offers a 100% no questions asked money back guarantee, if the parent is not satisfied.
- 100% Safe
- No added chemicals
- BPA free
- Available in packs of 4.
- Not the most durable option available.
2.Nanobebe Baby pacifiers 0-3 months – Orthodontic
- One of the best pacifiers for newborn babies who are still breastfeeding. It enables a smooth transition away from the breast to binky.
- It is a one piece and does not pose a choking hazard.
- It is flexible and comfortably adjusts and forms as per the baby’s face.
- TIt is 100% natural and safe for the baby.
- BPA free
- Phthalate free
- Gentle on gums and teeth
- Has a calming effect on the child, tends to soothe the child well.
- Some customers have complained of slightly damaged products, however most are very satisfied.
3. Chicco PhysioForma
- This is a pacifier for newborn babies between 0 to 6 months of age.
- The product is designed to have ventilation holes. These holes prevent gathering of saliva
- It is a one piece design and hence is not a choking hazard.
- It provides for optimal lip closure of the baby. Its tiny ridges and inclined nipple aid proper tongue placement of the baby.
- 100% Safe silicone
- BPA and Latex free
- Comes in 3 different sizes based on the age of the baby.
- Actively supports baby’s breathing.
- Some parents felt that their baby’s suck was not strong enough to keep it in their mouths until the age of 3 months.
4. NUK Glow in the Dark Orthodontic Pacifiers
- This pacifier for infants glows in the dark. This is fascinating for the babies, and will keep them distracted.
- It has a natural shape that is moulded from mom’s nipple while breastfeeding, based on research and studies
- One of the best baby pacifiers for infants aged between 6 to 18 months.
- The pacifier is heart shaped and fits perfectly under the baby’s nose without causing any irritation.
- BPA free
- 100% safe Silicone nipples
- Reduces pressure on jaws and teeth to prevent misalignment
- Based on 2017 market research, tested against 307 other pacifiers
- Some parents complained that in the pack of 2, only one pacifier was glow in the dark.
5. BPA-Free Baby Pacifier Teether by Happay
- This pacifier for infants comes with a rust free stainless steel clip attached to it.
- The pacifier comes with internationally standard twin ventilation holes to allow free breathing of the baby.
- It is recommended for babies older than 3 months of age.
- The pacifier is very easy to clean, and comes in a one piece design, to avoid any choking hazards.
- It is made of 100% rubber which is BPA and phthalates free
- Made of food grade minerals
- This product is durable
- It is suitable for both boys and girls
- It is on the expensive side, and there are less expensive alternatives to this product.
6. Simply Rubber Pacifiers by Zoë b Organic
- This product has three sizes available from which parents can choose – Available in Small (0 to 6 months), Medium (6 to 12 months), and Large (12 months and above).
- It has a circular shield design to comfort the baby.
- Designed with a short nipple to prevent dental misalignment and orthodontic issues later in life.
- This pacifier is made from 100% safe rubber.
- BPA, phthalates, and nitrosamines free
- Each piece is individually handcrafted in Italy, to fit comfortably on the baby
- Best pacifier for newborn babies who prefer natural rubber rather than silicone.
- This pacifier is available in only one colour option
7. Philips Avent Ultra Air Pacifier
- This pacifier has four extra large holes in the shield that let your baby’s skin breathe, so that the baby’s skin stays drier while soothing.
- This is a pacifier for infants aged between 6 months to 18 months.
- This pacifier Comes with a sterilizer/ carrying case. Parents can use it to sterilize the pacifiers with water in the microwave and transport them hygienically.
- This pacifier comes with a comfortable soft silicone nipple that promises 98% nipple acceptance.
- Philips Avent is a very reputed brand among parents and is absolutely safe.
- Made using 100% safe silicone.
- Comes in a pack of two.
- BPA free.
- It is slightly more expensive than other options available from other brands.
8. Baby Fanatic 2 Piece Pacifier Set
- These pacifiers are officially licensed by the National Football League (NFL).
- These pacifiers for infants come with decals of various NFL teams as available options and come with the official hologram on the packing.
- This pacifier comes with a 100%safe silicone nipple.
- This pacifier is also orthodontic.
- Perfect gift idea for a young NFL fan mom.
- BPA free
- Stands out from the crowd and displays team decals on the front.
- 100% safe silicone nipple.
- Not a very rich lather
9.MAM Start Newborn Pacifiers
- This pacifier has a symmetric shape and has no right side up. Hence it does not need to be constantly adjusted.
- This is also an orthodontic pacifier.
- This pacifier comes with a self sterilising case and is easy to sterilise. This makes it easy to take on the go.
- There are openings provided in the shield of the pacifier to allow the baby’s skin to breathe.
- Made from 100% safe silicone
- Comes with a self sterilising case
- BPA free
- Available in various different colour options.
- Some parents have complained that water tends to get trapped inside the nipple area after sterilising the pacifier.
10. RaZbaby RaZbuddy JollyPop Pacifier Holder w/Removable Baby Pacifier
- This product comes with a toy bunny rabbit that can be detached from the pacifier itself, making it fun and attractive for the baby.
- This fun toy that comes with this pacifier for newborn babies is made from polyester and is safe to play with.
- The pacifier itself is made from medical grade silicone.
- The attached pacifier is also orthodontic.
- The attached toy makes it fun and enjoyable for the baby, keeping it distracted.
- BPA free
- The toy attached to the pacifier is machine washable.
- Durable one piece construction
- The toy bunny is white in colour and may be easy to stain, although it is machine washable.
11.Philips Avent Soothie Snuggle Pacifier Holder with Detachable Pacifier
- This product comes with a toy baby elephant that can be detached from the pacifier itself, making it fun and attractive for the baby.
- Comes in various different options of animals and is also available based on two age groups.
- The pacifier and the stuffed toy detach completely for easy cleaning.
- The Stuffed animal has a second attachment point for pacifiers with ring handles
- Easily detachable and washable.
- BPA free
- The stuffed animal keeps the pacifier close to baby
- The stuffed animal makes the pacifier easy for parents and babies to find
- It is slightly more expensive than other pacifiers available on the market due to the stuffed toy.
12. Philips Notched Newborn Soothie Pacifier
- It comes with a 100% Natural scent and it is not artificial.
- Promotes natural development of teeth and gums
- BPA and Latex free
- Highly rated on Amazon
- Although the product is great, there are less expensive alternatives available.
Buying Guide and Baby Care
The most important part of the pacifier is the part that you put in your baby’s mouth. While other features may add value to a particular product, the primary parameter that you should judge a pacifier by, is the quality and features of the nipple area of the pacifier.
First and foremost, you should always consult your doctor or pediatrician before you select a pacifier for your newborn infant. A medical expert is the best person to judge and assess your baby’s needs and recommend a specific type of pacifier.
The function of a pacifier is not only to calm your baby down, but also to encourage the right kind of oral development. What you put in your baby’s mouth has the potential to affect function. The pacifier that you use, can and probably will affect the way in which your baby uses its tongue. If you feel that your child needs to learn to use its tongue better, then a “soothie” pacifier is a preferable option.
Mom’s that feel that their baby has a biting problem generally use this to teach their babies to use their tongues rather than their jaws. If a baby bites into a soothie pacifier, it pops out of the baby’s mouth. Most parents think that their baby is rejecting the pacifier. But this is an indication that the baby does not have the right tongue patterns to use the pacifier.
What is an orthodontic pacifier?
An orthodontic pacifier is one that encourages the correct kind or oral development. It teaches a child to use their tongue in certain ways and prevents misalignment during future development of your child’s teeth. Oral development is very crucial at such a tender age and a doctor is the best person for a parent to consult regarding this.
My baby has a habit of biting the nipple while breastfeeding. Is there a pacifier to teach my baby not to do this?
For babies that use their jaws excessively rather than their tongue, a soothie pacifier is preferable rather than an orthodontic one. Soothie pacifiers are designed in such a way that if your baby bites on the nipple, the pacifier will pop out of the baby’s mouth. This teaches the baby to learn the correct tongue patterns.
Are pacifiers age specific?
Yes! Pacifiers are age specific. Almost all pacifiers available on the market come with age recommendations (0-6 months or 6-18 months, etc). This is because your child’s oral development is very rapid at such an age and their mouths are rapidly growing in size and changing in shape. Hence their pacifier needs also change with age.
How to sterilise a pacifier?
Many pacifiers come with a sterilising kit included. Usually all it requires is a microwave oven. For pacifiers that do not have a sterilising kit included, the instructions for washing and sterilising will be provided with the product. Do not forget to sterilise your baby’s pacifier.
When to start and when to stop using pacifiers for babies?
Every child’s developmental requirements and needs are different. Only your child’s pediatrician can properly guide you in this regard. Introducing a pacifier and getting a baby off a pacifier are both crucial steps that need to be well timed.